Snow-Falling-Effect

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Bangle Sellers : Sarojini Naidu

Poem : The Bangle sellers
Poetess : Sarojini Naidu
My Ratings : 5/5
I loved poems of Sarojini Naidu and remember her 'The Bangle sellers' verbatim. It was in our school poetry book in class 5th. The lines are etched in my mind and at that time I used to feel it will be in my heart till my last breath ......  such was and is the impact of the poem ...
It starts as
Bangle sellers are we who bear
Our shining loads to the temple fair…
Who will buy these delicate, bright
Rainbow-tinted circles of light?
Lustrous tokens of radiant lives,
For happy daughters and happy wives.


Some are meet for a maiden’s wrist,
Silver and blue as the mountain mist,
Some are flushed like the buds that dream
On the tranquil brow of a woodland stream,
Some are aglow with the bloom that cleaves
To the limpid glory of new born leaves

I was mesmerised by the beauty and picturesqueness of the lines... Now I can  see that my liking for the poem was the first indication that I, after all was a quintessential girly girl waiting to be domesticated and to become proud of the homeliness in me..
The words and the visual image it presented was just too much for me.

Who will believe if  I tell that I cried from emotion while reading it ? The 'rainbow tinted circles of light', 'shining loads', 'blue as the mountains mist',' fields of sunlit corn' and 'the limpid glory of new born leaves' were the picturesque words which my young mind was incapable to hold within and my little heart brimmed and ached at the same time with joy of beauty; and tears rolled down.

 Some are like fields of sunlit corn,
Meet for a bride on her bridal morn,
Some, like the flame of her marriage fire,
Or, rich with the hue of her heart’s desire,
Tinkling, luminous, tender, and clear,
Like her bridal laughter and bridal tear.


Some are purple and gold flecked grey
For she who has journeyed through life midway,
Whose hands have cherished, whose love has blessed,
And cradled fair sons on her faithful breast,
And serves her household in fruitful pride,
And worships the gods at her husband’s side.


Later, whenever I read it fresh meanings opened up.. the sheer beauty and the human element of the poem struck me...making it sort of ideal for my life as a woman.
From maidenhood of misty dreams through the golden bridal joy and bridal tears to the cradling of sons and daughters on the faithful breast and praying to God from her family's side.... the journey I have understood and have cherished each and every moment of it with these delicate, bright, tender and luminous circles around my  wrist!

5 comments:

  1. I’ve not come across these words before, but they are beautiful as are the bangles. Thank you so much for your Christmas greetings, I hope you have a wonderful time with family and friends. Merry Christmas, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like these .... these are timeless words celebrating the essence of womanhood.....
      tit-bit of info... Because of her spontaneous poetry , Sarojini Naidu is the 'Nightingale of India' . Thanks for your wishes :) . Kokila

      Delete
  2. I remember we had this poem in school. I loved it right then. :) And thanks for finding my blog. I like your blog name. Sunshine & blue clouds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ranjini for visiting :) .... . the poem is awesome... I too had it in school.. as for the title well, lots of sunshine and some blue clouds are all I seemed to have as Things Handpicked In Life :) D
    wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful poem. I read it long ago. You've explained the crux of the poem so beautifully :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your views and thoughts make this blog work ...Thanks a lot. :)

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...