Snow-Falling-Effect

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Phillipa Gregory : Just One Question !

 I chanced upon a book called 'The Other Boleyn Girl' in a dusty pile in a dustier corner of a book sale shack in Koramangala
I liked the cover image and the book was a story from the Tudor History. On reading I found the book to be sensitively written without hiding the grimness yet avoiding being vulgar. It presenteded the kings and queens as people, with flaws and  weaknesses . As persons with limited options, struck amidst conspiracies of habits and nature. 

I liked it. 

After some time, I purchased another book on Tudor history around same characters of Queen Anne and King HenryVIII . 

With great expectations I read and found my mouth go sour with 'almost' indecent language, explicit narrations and lifeless, limp fact recitation. 
Its then that I realised the beauty of Phillipa's writing .... true and  imaginative, grim and sensitive... its a boon to read Tudor History through her books. Reading her is like understanding the longings and sufferings of the bejewelled princesses and queens and the shortcomings and high-headiness of princes and kings... in an era of wealth, power, conspiracies and mistrust....

Its then, that I loved it. 



 She offers mystery , drama, emotion, serenity,passion and the general environment of mistrust and  darkness which is always around the royalty but the human element and the realistic approach towards her characters makes her stand out from other contemporary Tudor  writers. 


Her writing strikes me, in one word, as - compassionate 


So when Goodreads provided this opportunity "Ask Phillipa Gregory a Question ..." I was ecstatic!!

I grabbed upon it and darted my question which is  HERE .
To which she duly and very nicely answered  HERE.

MY QUESTION

Kokila wrote: "I was introduced to the Tudor History through your books.Your books felt sensitive and grim at the same time ...I specially love the detail you weave in the story which gives it the period flavor....My question is what is that ONE book/subject/topic except the Tudor history which is close to your heart? Which you love?
Thanking you in anticipation..."


Her ANSWER
"Thank you so much for "sensitive and grim" - I really love that description. It's how I feel writing when something is absolutely fascinating and at the same time rather terrible. If you mean what do I love outside Tudor history then I think it would be the idea of writing history of oppressed people - whose story has not been told. So I wrote a novel called A Respectable Trade which was about black slavery in England - something that is very little studied and indeed sometimes still denied. When I write about Tudor or Plantagenet women I am writing about people who have been quite ignored by historians, and I love the feeling of discovering an untold story, and doing something (however small) to set the record straight - to bring justice to people who have suffered and not been heard.
 "                                         -  Phillipa Gregory


Thanks Phillipa for a nice and deatiled answer.It makes me appreciate your books , choice of characters and writing style even more . For more on Phillipa's books visit HERE 

14 comments:

  1. This looks interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya.. It is good. You can try if you are interested in period/historical fiction though the book is based on true incidents. Happy Reading :)

      Delete
  2. You must have been excited interacting with this author. Looks like an interesting book. By the way, have you tried Rafael Sabatini?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited while posting the question and very happy on receiving a lucid answer :) Hmm it nice if you are interested in historical fiction. Sadly I have not read anything by Rafael Sabatini but if you are suggesting lemme google and try :) what genre` he writes in?

      Delete
  3. Perhaps you'll like Hilary Mantel's novels too: Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies. Anne Boleyn is very alive in them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the info. historical fiction based on facts is dear to me.Now I have to find Hillary Mantel. :) Sir, Before I started this blog I have read many good books which are now hazy.... so I can not update about them and some were gems like the one about the Queen in-famous as Bloody Mary ..... It was heart wrenching ...and still I don't remember the name ! As for Hillary Mantel.. I'll definitely search her up :) Thanks again for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Very interesting Kokila! I would like to pick up this book now. Loved your "About Me"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilakshee.. for the nice comment and for visiting and stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ankur for stopping by :) If you like historical fiction you might like it... Not sure if you 'll like the emo stuff :D though .

      Delete
  6. will be worth reading ... after your intro.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously good but only if you like historical fiction :)

      Delete
  7. Interesting. You actually got a reply. I should check that feature out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ! Felt better as she replied really well in her true style.

      Delete

Your views and thoughts make this blog work ...Thanks a lot. :)

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...