Snow-Falling-Effect

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

What's in a Name Kokila?

Thanks to Narasimha Sharma Veturi that I get the chance to talk about KOKILA- the name.
Top Post on IndiBloggerOf course I Love it.
Kokila is a beautiful and poetic name ... and Unique for a North Indian girl. 
It means the melodious cuckoo.
In that age of Amit I, Amit II , Amit III and Monica Sharma, Monika Agarwal and Monika Arora,  I  was ALWAYS the only  Kokila in the class, sections,school, neighbourhood, city and perhaps the state. 
I Loved my name . It was Different .
The difference made me prone of getting caught in mischief and made naughty children wary of me as they realised that with me in their gang there is hardly any chance of not remembering the name or any such confusion ... It costed me a lot of fun.
I loved my name. it was umm...Pure ?
In May 1991, the Rajiv Gandhi assassination happened  and one of the killers being some K.O.K.I.L.A. .. What ! Excuse me.
Oh NO.! I wailed .. It was a hideous act .The only solace was that it was vacation time so my friends were too busy dipping in nearby ponds and lakes rather then concentrating on what was happening on the national front.
I loved my name... It evokes  Memories... of rains, monsoon....
...and of me.
In college, I was the one always to be remembered for bunking lectures and again my pals (highly questionable) were wary of being 'seen' with me inside the college walls.. Grrr.
That my Mum was a Lecturer and ALL teachers were extended family only made matters worse.There was not a lane in our city where I could go without doing 'Mausi Namastey' at every alternate turn.
The running joke was 'if you are going out with her its better to complete your work before or next day you don't have an alibi ! '
bluebird and blossom animations I loved my name. It was Poetic.
Sarojini Naidu bore all the burns meant for me ,from irritated class-mates, on losing in exams/competitions.Again I found pleasure and solace in being compared (although sarcastically) to her.Though none of my verse was ever considered anywhere near to hers... Poetic Justice! 
I loved my name... Its of a free bird .... free of boundaries...
As soon as I entered Karnataka , I was labeled a Tamilian, my complexion, dressing sense (read attachment to saris )and my name!
In Dehradun I was a Southie due to my name. (my clothes were more western then) 
In U.P. all my life I was thought as a Bengali (No idea why )My introductory line generally had been a clarifying one-
 "No, No Auntyi ji, I am from Uttar Pradesh..." then conforming the caste,clan,gotra...
I Love my Name...Its Traditional.
I was the Coke maha when gained weight and Coke mini on losing it.For my cousins I am Koko and to all kids ranging from toddlers to 4-5 years old- koko/choco didi.
I Love my name. Its bestowed by MY parents ...kuch soch kar they named me ..
To my amazement and disappointment it was not given to me by my parents ! but by the Pandit ji who made my birth-chart- the janm patrika !! The man must have been, influenced by Abhigyan Shakuntulam and Jaishankar Prasad/SumitraNandan Pant .What ever the reason he left me with a name unique and uncommon  in U.P. ... even today.
 I love my name .... Sach mein
 I was very upset with my Mum for not naming me herself.When  I asked why she said that she liked the priest given name so much that she opted for it!
"What was the name YOU had in mind for your unborn girl? "I persisted ."After all you are a lecturer of Hindi Sahitya."
She promptly replied "Kajri"
"WHAT ? ...." followed by a stunned silence from my side......I was aghast.
Suddenly I was very happy .. and thankful... to the Pandit ji.. the great learned man had saved me a life time of embarrassment!
I could not have lived with Kajri ..(am cringing) Ah Lord. Thou are Merciful. And I Love My Name.

PS : On second and sensible thoughts Kajri or Kokila... no image can bound the potential you are born with. So no offence to the Kajris of India :D 

Below is something given to me by younger sister of my friend ..

K is for Keen, abounding with enthusiasm
O is for Open-minded, receptive to new ideas
K is for Knowledge 
I is for Immaculate, striving for perfection
L is for Light-hearted, I have an easy laughter
A is for Affectionate, exuding warmth and tenderness

This post is written in response to What does your name mean to you? Do you like it or hate it? Why? #WhatsInAName on Indispire on Indiblogger.

43 comments:

  1. It is a lovely name indeed and glad you got the name you liked more! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... Thanks Mridula :D I am still laughing while typing..... Ya even I am glad I got this one.. :D And yours is also sooo Nice.. soft and gentle like a ma ka aanchal.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely interpretation in the name! And I liked how you ended in the end :) Kokila smiles :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma for your lovely comment :) I am glad you liked it... It was lengthy... after all talking about oneself ..:D

      Delete
  3. A lovely name indeed.
    Would you be any different if you had some other name? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to the Pandit Ji for the name :) and I don't feel I would be different .... I would be the same Intelligent, beautiful, talented, and most importantly Humble, never to boast(ahem-ahem) type of person ...:D ...Thanks Mumbaidaily to focus your really superb Magiceye here :) Keep visiting.

      Delete
  4. I must admit that I have not known anyone before you with the name Kokila. :) It is unique and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Indrani... you made my day..er.. night .. Its 11:10 PM :) Thanks for the lovely comment and yes Now you know me :)

      Delete
  5. It is a melodious name indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you lends the ethereal touch to all things... so,coming from you its something. Thanks dear :) And I am still trying to get that movie...

      Delete
  6. Lovely name and a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parul . Interestingly when I was in class 2nd your name was the only one which I was not able to know the meaning of as my mother told me its of Bengali origin and a name of a flower... I guess she was right ?
      and Yes dear.... Welcome to the blog :)

      Delete
  7. Nice to see how you love your name, yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for surviving the post Sir ! Hopes others will love it as much :)

      Delete
  8. Not only your name, you are also nice. An awesome post. waiting to see more like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW... Amazed to see you here ! A pleasant surprise.. tough nut you are as after that full chatter you survived the post :D ... SO nice of you to comment such sweet things :) WELCOME to the blog Castro :) Keep visiting... the blog AND D7.

      Delete
  9. Lovely name indeed...and absolutely unique too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Welcome to the space ...I am glad you liked it .. the post as well as the name :)

      Delete
  10. This was one happy-go-lucky post I've read in a long time... and you, Kokila, are one talkative person, I'm sure. Loved the way you wrote as if you were actually sitting in a group and telling everyone every thing about your name... simply fascinating!

    Arvind Passey
    www.passey.info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Welcome to the blog and Thank-you for the breezy comment :)

      Delete
    3. Welcome to the blog and Thank-you for the breezy comment :)

      Delete
  11. It is a lovely nae and better still you love it and that is what is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachna... So nice of you to drop by and comment.... because of the prompt it looks like as if I am in much love with my name ...well Kokila is fine... any name would have been fine even Kajri (can't help cringing !!) but then when you grew up with some thing it becomes the part of YOU, the whole package like a mole on face ... and I am not a person to believe in cosmetic removals (unless its a deformity) :D Glad u enjoyed rather survived the post ... Keep coming dear.

      Delete
  12. Kokila really is a beautiful name, and I wondered about the origin.
    My mum and dad never, ever called me by the name they gave me – I was always Bob or Bobbie – and I like both much better than Barbara.
    I’m sorry I’ve not been to visit for a while; it is a very busy time at the moment. I will try to do better! Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Barbara, First there is no need to feel sorry.... It must be busy for you as i am also in the same boat... My little sis-in-law has grown up !! and getting married !!! ... Am so busy ... And the best name is what we grew up with ..nice to know your sweet pet names ....:) And thanks for the appreciation :) Kokila

      Delete
  13. A nice post..had a great laugh..and your name is really unique..it sounds more Gujrati to me..donno why..but I am not a Gujrati ha..:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA .HA Ranita... Thanks for the comment and as for my name sounding Gujrati... it happens ... Acoustics I guess :) And do you know I named my son ANINDY after getting fascinated by the acoustics as well as the meaning of it of it and now I here I have found that you also have one in your family .:D Nice to know :)

      Delete
  14. Nice post Kajri... oh wait Kokila :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol .... Thanks for fulfilling my Mom's wish .... :D

      Delete
  15. Kokila, I knew the significance of your beautiful name, but reading it from your eyes made me smile & send you virtual hugs :-)
    Bharat kokila/Lata ji
    Bahrat Kokila/nightingale of India Sarojini Naidu
    Aur Tum :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Ruchi for all the hugs... :) :D and am glad I was able to you smile as I am being refreshed by the walks with you daily !! i have come to love the fresh pics and ghar se bahar dhakka dene wali quotes sooooo much ...After reading them its hard for me to stay calm :D
      love n regards,
      Kokila
      P

      Delete
  16. What a post! I LOVED it :-D Even I liked your name much when I met you (virtually) for the first time. I've a penchant for unusual names :-P for mine is quite uncommon. I still remember you interpreted the meaning of my name so correctly, someone did that after a long time.

    And listen to this Bengali song, 'O kokila tore sudhai re...' ( O cuckoo I'm asking you...) It's a sad song but extremely popular and melodious.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvWchlHD0pc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A TON dear friend :) :)
      Am grinning ear to ear ....again
      Yours is an exceptionally beautiful and unique name ...I have heard 'ManiKanta' and 'IndraMani' before .. both I liked but was fascinated by yours.....and as per my knowledge, your name is from 'The Chayavadi Yug' of Hindi Literature... :)

      and forgot to mention it earlier- try to pay a visit here girl ... http://sunshineandblueclouds.blogspot.in/2015/02/raindrops.html#comment-form
      this poem has your name mentioned in it ..I had it italicised ! :)
      Hope you'd enjoy it :)
      Thanks for the Link ... Soumitra Chattarjee is the other actor I know apart from Uttam Kumar .. He is very handsome and charismatic .Have read his Apur Sansar and Ashani Sanket script in 'Sarika' - a magazine .

      Delete
  17. An article after my own heart! Wow!

    What an analysis! Great job done, Kokila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah . I can do a Ph.D. in such subjects which don't exist OR are meaningless or honestly put a waste of time and energy ,so writing an article was a bachhon ka khel .. romanticism you see :p
      You survived it and are commenting with grace is something worth cheering Rakesh :) Thank You :)

      Delete
  18. My own name-story more or less. Though of course I had heard of Kokila ben Ambani but for UP I am sure its quite unique. I myself have always been proud of the uniqueness of my own name + surname.
    Being a UP-ite and having worked in South India, I had to correct people all the time - Its NITYA not NITHYA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My own name-story more or less. Though of course I had heard of Kokila ben Ambani but for UP I am sure its quite unique. I myself have always been proud of the uniqueness of my own name + surname.
    Being a UP-ite and having worked in South India, I had to correct people all the time - Its NITYA not NITHYA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Nitya, first I am burning with deep shame for replying after such a long time!
      I can understand your plight about the Nithya spelling as well as name too as Nithyashree is common in South but to be a Nitya Dwivedi is uncommon in Northern parts. specially jab aap school me hongi.I am glad you stopped by and commented dear... And, your name reminds me to be regular in blogging and replying! Thank-you!����

      Delete
  20. Yours s indeed a poetic and lovely name with a pleasant meaning - mine on Te other hand and by comparison means simply 'manly', haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always great to be concise Andy! BTW, of all the posts you decided to stumble upon this childish piece, is a proof that you are living up to your name every bit! Wandering through half of the world and ending up at places where you guys are least expected! So Man-ly!
      Jokes apart, I am glad you somehow survived this rant and commented too! Thank-you! :)

      Delete

Your views and thoughts make this blog work ...Thanks a lot. :)

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...