Classic and Contemporary

Visit Here
IndiBlogger Badge
Books are my life-blood and I have read them irrespective of  hype,writers and genre.
 There are some which I enjoyed, some I admired and some I am awed by. 
Long before internet and blogging, I, as a kid use to list down every book I would read in a small green and white 'SAFE EXPRESS' diary given to me by a loving aunt. 
That diary is missing from past one year,almost the same time I took to blogging, and an urgent visit to my hometown perhaps, can solve its disappearance. In that list (started from 1990s) there were no categories,only titles and author.
 I marked a star near to those which I liked and a heart near to the ones I loved ! 
When I took to blogging, I wanted to make a bookshelf page for my

 blog for which, I had to categorize books.From here the trouble began...

What is termed as Sahitya/ Classic and what is Contemporary is not to be decided simply as old and new stuff but it has to be based on a meaningful distinction.My understanding of Classics is greatly influenced by my mother's views. She 
Visit Here

is herself a Classic lover,a daughter of Classic lover parents and was a wife to a husband with similar tastes augmented with philosophical cadence.No wonder she studied Literature in college and retired as a teacher of the same.

Googling the net and Wikipedia definitions worked as a bonus for this topic and I am ready with my definition of Classics in following points-

My first point is to define it,followed by the matter it deals with, the

 impact it makes and the way it is written.In the 5th one, I pointed out a trivia which was hard to ignore.


Austen
1.) Classics are immortal and universal

 - shashvat aur Sarvbhoumik.
These are the books which stand the test of times and have a  timeless appeal  to readers across oceans and centuries.

 2.)The emotions and life situations of these are aviral ,nirantar - continous and spontanous . 
These depict the catharsis of human psyche` in combat with the mighty forces of nature, destiny and harsh realities of the living world.

3.)These impart knowledge,wisdom,a clarity of mind and soul and have a message or philosophy to be discovered (not always earth shatteringly new). 
Hardy
4.) These are beautifully written. 
Be it in the simple and heart wrenching words of Premchand or the fluent, literary language of Shivani , the poignant and picturesque narration of Thomas Hardy or sharp and charmingly witty writings of Agatha Christie... Classics boast of distinctive styles and exemplary writings ..
 And as per me the Classic writing Style need not to be flowery language decked with  philosophical tendrils and psychological dew drops but, a simple writing which touch the heart,prompt reflection and provides a window to the soul.

5.)Interestingly,a common feature of classic is that most of them were banned in their times.
Gaura Pant Shivani
As they defied sticking to the rule-book of their times,they aroused unjust criticism and most of
 them were banned.So,their worth is understood after a long time of their emergence.

                          ***
Here I rest my case and sincerely hope that the points presented here do justice to Classics.
Its essential for me to make a clear breast that I am not in unison with people labeling ALL the century old stuff as Classic and shun ALLthe new stuff of past 10-15 years as Modern. 
So I found the term Contemporary Classics a dear one :)

And wait for a second as this anonymous guy has nicely summed up my idea of classic which I took pages to explain !! :D

 'Classics are books your fathers give you and you keep them to give to your children"

30 comments:

  1. Dear Kokila, thanks for telling me about the link to the Shivani page on Kalpana! Best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am grateful Sir ... Thanks Again... :)

      Delete
  2. This one Kokila is so different. I like this post a lot. Also now i know the secret lineage as well, very nice and informative. Welcome back to activity and hope all is ok homefront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am so pleased Shweta, that you liked it... everything is fine.was busy with the festivity at home and the rakhi-making day, friendship band making ,cycle tests and all that jazz....:) I find time for posting but not fro reflection,hence this passivity...thanks for asking dear ..TONS of love :)

      Delete
  3. Classics are immortal for they do stand the test of time...we want to pass on to our children the habit of reading..the love of books, so that they can enjoy these classics in the way we enjoyed ...and still enjoying..:-) Nice write-up Kokila... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maniparna... words from a beautiful friend and an enchanting poetess like you ,means a lot... and you know it :D Gald you are here :)

      Delete
  4. You just reminded me of my college classes with Jane Austen and Thomas Hardy...good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to be able to remind you of those people of yore......... they must be essentially,a part of your fond memories... memories...Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Mother & husband are classic & others are....what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey dondevis... I am so unable to reply you as I could not get this classic comment :P ..... elucidate a bit and then perhaps I can explain :) Thanks for your time here :)

      Delete
  6. YOUR DEFINITION OF CLASSIC IS RIGHT ON SPOT. SIMPLY PUT, YOU'RE A VORACIOUS READER AS WELL AS AN EXPRESSIVE WRITER. LOVED THE POST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciation (2 words are enough :) )from you means a lot to me Uppal ji ... am glad if you found the post justified. Will love to know if something is amiss... so glad you stopped by and posted your thoughts :)

      Delete
  7. Bang on! post, and though I have never been into reading (a lot of) books but I totally agree with your definition... classics - irrespective of age - never die, they live on... forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arti for your (choti si yatra) visit here :)......I am glad you like what I wrote...AND I totally LOVE your blog and adore ALL that travelling and info and pics of yours so much that my blog has turned green with envy.... :P Tanks again for being here :)

      Delete
  8. Classics can never fade away!
    What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Indrani... these are emotions frozen and lively at the same time :)

      Delete
  9. I love books and i like this post. Brought back the scent of well turned pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilakshee... I am glad you liked it ... and the scent of books.. intoxicating :)

      Delete
  10. Of Classics, They are universal and stand true to any generation. They are a product of pure passion for writing....They are something you name your children on (I am named after a novel of Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay). They are the ones regarding whom you say to your kids with a sigh again and again "You should read it someday.." A great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genuine pleasure Datta that the piece resonated well with you... so glad you liked it.
      PS.Its great to know that you are named after a literary piece...sigh ... Despite my Mom being a devoted literature lover, I am glad I was not named by her! don't feel I am advertising my post ...but it will feel good to hear your thoughts on this one .. specially ,as I have experienced your honesty :)
      http://sunshineandblueclouds.blogspot.in/2014/04/whats-in-name.html

      Delete
  11. Being ardent fan of classics,I loved each and every word of your post.. Very well penned Kokila :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nagini.. I know of your affection for classics hence pleased to make you glad :)

      Delete
  12. I love Books, I love classics, Lovely post, you have made me remember my collections at my Mom place which I really missed, you know this feeling Kokila, I can bet :-) Hugs.
    P.S.- Catching up today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear girl.... I know the feeling :) thanks for your love n affection.. will catch up .. nothing much just busy with Life :P missed you :)

      Delete

Your views make this blog work ...Thanks a lot. :)