The White Moustache : Bedtime Rituals

I have always felt blessed to be the daughter of my parents. The anecdotes and stories about how they both treated me and  took care of me were something which I always looked forward to listen while visiting my Grandma's home .. Specially my bed-time routine was something which always made me resolute to do the same if not better for my kid. 

Anindy was born in 2005 and I was happy as I could take care of him the way, I was taken care of. Being a working mum in a joint family meant I could hardly get time for him in the daytime but nights were special ...
For his bedtime I had a full ritual which I followed without fail. My sis-in-law even gave a name to it Andu ki Moonch or Anindy's moustache ! Instead of asking if the baby has slept she would ask"Bhabhi ,Andu ki moonch banai ?"
Sometimes she would help me in this . 

First a body massage by olive oil/Dabur laal tail while whispering sweet nothings to him or mostly simply smiling.Those moments were for feeling the touch.

A warm bath in his Purple bathtub set in a closed room. The lukewarm jet of water on tummy and joints seemed to relax him beyond words.

Wrapped in a soft towel he would cling to me. After drying up, I would apply a dab of vaseline or ghee on sensitive areas followed by a light puff of baby powder on his bums .

Finally a  soft lullaby or two till he would drift to sleep. Mum would apply a tiny smudge of baby powder below his nose saying he would have fragrant dreams ! The little white moustache would look so funny and cute !



The bedtime ritual changed a bit after he grew up as lullabies were replaced by stories and books.
For my daughter's bedtime massage and bathing Anindy would also help sometimes .With her birth the ritual lost some of its sobriety and gained more fun  as Anindy would also take a dip in his old purple bucket side by side to his sister while she would be in her new Aquamarine bathtub set.... *rolling eyes*

It was hectic but it was fun .I loved EVERY moment of it and am grateful I followed a fixed and a fun-filled routine .. Now as both of them are growing fast .. these are some of the precious, golden moments I cling to in my heart ! 

I love the white moustache of Pihu and Anindy !

The post is written as the HappyHour Post for IndiBlogger in association with Pampers India.

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Keirthana .. I have deliberately hid the sour parts ... :p :p but then the moments were certainly worth every thing :)Thanks again dear :)

      Delete
  2. Loved the beautiful moments of joy. But the mustache pic is missing...... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont have any of the moustache pic.. guess by the time the ritual was over I would have been too tired for it :p
      Though the other related pics , the hard copies one ,are in my hometown .. :(

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a dreamy childhood kokila, no blaring TV's, no annoying loud music.. Seems so serene and peaceful..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Viany ...and as my kids are still kids (thankfully) we try hard to keep it that way :) Plus, you will be pleased to know that my son reads' Inspire 99' which helps me in maintaining the environment ..
      Thanks for your words here and your posts at Inspire 99 .It is true to its name :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely moments indeed...totally enjoyed reading this one... :-D ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These sure are precious to me ... Thanks Mani :)

      Delete
  5. Ha haa haa :D So, that's the sweet story of moustache :D That's really lovely :) What an enjoyable read!
    TC dear... Keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SIndhu .. Am missing you girl :(
      hope your venture is going great ...best wishes and Thankss fro the sweet comment-love :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my super mom....I felt happy and content reading these happy moments! You are so lucky any fortunate to have such sweet children babe...love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ,thanks ,thanks dearie :)
      Life is/was always hard. I am glad that I was able to compartmentalize my mind to live those beautiful moments with my kids... thus blocking the negativity and sadness from reaching them .totally worth the pain/hardwork :)
      lots of love n wishes :)

      Delete
  7. Nice memories and sweet post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so cute. My daughter listens to stories from her father but she has declared me a dud, apparently I can't tell good stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Your travel tales are keeping me spellbound for sure .. :)
      Thanks Mridula :)

      Delete
  9. This is very sweet indeed - it is small precious moments like these that make for lovely memories for all the times to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Well said Arti. These moments make life worth living and the past worth remembering :)

      Delete
  10. I am so behind with everything so probably won't be able to catch up however I hope to keep up now say I with fingers crossed :-)
    What a sweet post Kokila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its completely okay Shashi as you and I are in more or less same boat ! My net connection is giving me problems and kids having one exam after another is not helping either.. Not to mention that all my cousins have suddenly woke up to the fact that 2015 is the best time to get married ! ... Whoa ! thanks for the comment-love dear :)

      Delete
  11. What an aromatic idea! Beautifully written as well! Yes, I agree that these sweet moments make our life extra special and unique in our own ways! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my!!
    What a (super-)cute post!

    Hugs to all 3 of you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet n kind words Dee :) Motherhood becomes more creative and tastes more sweet when the child is asleep ;)

      Delete

Your views make this blog work ...Thanks a lot. :)