Small Joys

When I was around 10 years old, it was a time when people used to talk in groups outside their homes in the evenings. They'd discuss everything under the sun including weeds growing rapidly after a good monsoon in some neglected plots.
It was dangerous as there could be reptiles.
Image Courtesy Here 
 I was aware of the danger still I used to feel a secret happiness as I had read somewhere that weeds are good for breeding of fireflies.

That thought of watching flickering lanterns of nature in the dark night, made darker by load shedding, was a lucrative prospect and I was ready to risk some snakes for it !

Thanks Here !
Those were the simple joys and pleasures I used to have and are now cherished memories.

Nowadays, it's  impossible to look at such simple things as source of joy.Happiness is an i-pad or Mc D.We dream high-aim big and whole life passes on.
Its only after its gone that we realise that Life was actually what was happening to us while we were busy planning for it !

As I was always prone to find such happiness in a shiny red beetle after a nice rain, in emerald greens of rainwashed leaves, in raindrops hanging like jewels on the empty clothesline waiting for me to twang it so they would fall on the ground splintering like crashing crystals.... in the fragrance of wet soil, in the hovering of Monarch butterflies and the sight of a good book ... any such negligible thing was good to make me happy from as long as I can remember.
Here 

 Now in Bangalore, nothing has changed as the Mango , guava trees have been replaced by the majestic sway of the coconut leaves, the patterns of kolams,the colours of venis and the baskets of artistically arranged flowers.
Here
The Shankh dhwani from my Bengali neighbours,the smell of southern spices, the colour of kahwa at the Kashmiri friend's place, the way my Tamil neighbour apply vibhuti/ash on her forehead , the Dravidian curves and the red,green, white gems of the earstuds of aunties at the market place and the ripples of colour and flickering of sequins of a Marvadi lady's ghagra are enough to make my daily grocery shopping experience worthwhile. 
Kolam Image : Here

The beautiful doors and nameplates, the curves of Kannada lipi and the way one Kaveri dances through this rocky terrain , gurgling here and lashing out there ...all these play the melodious lyre of emotions evoking myriad feelings of wonder,peace, calm,pleasure and contentment.
Kolam Image : Here

The laughter of a child , the eagerness and intensity with which my kids put their brains together to chalk out Santa's route after receiving gifts from him, the way my 9 yr old almost fought with his friend in favour of Santa's existence, the way one of their friend think that a housefly when comes in contact with a mango, turns into the iridescent fruit fly , the way their eyes grew into saucers when Coca Cola froths into their mug, sparkling and spurting bubbles of joy.... ... and the way my son still thinks that 'Chanda hai tu.mera suraj hai tu ' was originally sung by me is enough to make my heart full ....with love, warmth and gratitude for the Divine one who gave me this life full of beauty and wonder, strewn with gems of happiness . And then he blessed me with this keen observation,ability to feel with such intensity, imagination and a knack of reading and writing.
That's why I root for weeds sometimes.

18 comments:

  1. I agree dear the small moments of simple and unadulterated joy were when we were children , nowadays happiness is unlocking a smartphone . Sigh . Also I am sure everything your child does makes you happy :D You actually mentioned almost everything ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol .. Najm Nisa(beautiful name dear) yes, despite trying hard to restrict myself to 'small portions' of small joys, I ended up mentioning almost everything ^_^ Hence kudos to you to survive a lengthy post and hope you enjoyed it too :p
      Glad you could relate to it ... Thanks for the sweet comment Najm :) Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Kokila, your post brought back memories from my childhood, long walks through fields and woods (always watching out for snakes – the grass snakes were something to admire but not so the adder). Breaking the ice on the puddles in the winter, collecting frog spawn in the spring and making ‘perfume’ out of rose petals in the summer. Not only have I enjoyed a trip down memory lane, but you have also conjured up all kinds of sights and sounds I will probably never experience but having read this I feel as though I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara .. its so kind of you to read my such lengthy posts which despite my trying hard I am unable to restrict within the required limit of 450 words.
      You have aptly said it as ' a trip down memory lane' ... I have also this experience of making 'perfume' out of rose petals like you ! Its so heartening to know that you enjoyed the post and I am linking the unfamiliar images right now.

      Thanks for the sweet comment dear :)

      Delete
  3. Oftentimes, I wish I were a child again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Celestine... but your sweet soulful writings imply that you are still a child in your heart .. :) Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. You've portrayed a miniature painting of Bangalore, much like the Madhubani paintings, where so many things are drawn...intricate details revealing the picture as a whole :-) Wonderful dear...loved each and every line of it....

    And, It's needless to say that my post on happiness ( I turned it into a general post after seeing that the entries have been queued for HH :-D) resembles yours on the delineation of Nature.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey soul sis ,even your comments are beautiful.. full of artistic inclinations!! Tons of thanks for the sweet words dear.
      You are right , it goes without saying that my portrayal of nature resembles yours.. :) and I too failed to submit it before queuing but was not smart enough to modify it as a general one !So, thanks for the idea as well as your lovely presence :) Always .

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Small joys indeed here kokila :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from you its a lot Shinchan :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Kokila, your post took me back into my childhood days. I remember the fire flies how they would light up trees like tiny lights in the summer. Like you we were very much aware of poisonous snakes and scorpions but that did not deter us from enjoying nature. I remember once watching a bird disappear into the sides of roadside mud bank. It was doing this regularly and I thought to myself I am sure it has nest in one of the holes. So I said to mum I am going to have a look at it after school. Mum said don't go near it as there might be a snake in the hole. One day I picked up courage and went near the hole way back from school. I so wanted to see if there were little ones in there. I got on my knees and peered into the hole as my eyes got used to the darkness I realised I was being stared back by two beady eyes and as it turned its head then I knew it was time for me to get out.. It was not the eyes of a bird or its little ones but that of a snake! He he from that day never went near any holes. Anyway that still didn't put me off admiring God's wonderful creations just be respectful of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shashi.. what a brave girl you are ! To come face to face with a snake!! reading about it alone gave me creeps ! Lol..
      But yes when we are with nature we have adventures of various sort .. its unique and interesting ... Yes.. God's world is wonderful .. one need to 'see' only.
      PS, you still have a friend named Mr. G ..isnt'it ? he he ....
      loads of love n wishes for your beautiful and sweet creations ...

      Delete
  7. "Nowadays, it's impossible to look at such simple things as source of joy.Happiness is an i-pad or Mc D." The thing is we define our happiness. We set the rules & criteria of for us being happy. If we define our happiness in small things that is under our control then we'll be able to live happily forever.

    All in all, A great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm ravish well said... but no matter how we define it , its important that we 'Feel' the same... sometimes it happens that the 'MIND' knows happiness but 'heart' does not feels it ... guess its perspective ...again :) ....and I am observing (with sadness) that its almost Impossible to 'train' one's heart to feel joy in things , which it does not find interesting :(
      seems as if its God's /Nature's gift to a few only ....

      Delete
    2. hehe... Follow your heart. Do not define happiness according to mind but heart. :)
      And yes, it's all about perspectives :)

      Delete
    3. :) Well said ... Thanks again :)

      Delete
  8. How beautiful! Dear, I just love the way you look at small things! I think, it is the best way to live, to live the moment!
    TC! Keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sindhu .. I agree with you dear.to find happiness in small offerings of life is a real blessing.It makes world a wonderful place to live .. :)
      And with friends like you it is not hard to find happiness ... is it ?

      Delete

Your views make this blog work ...Thanks a lot. :)