Unlocking Childhood


I never realized how time flew till my son -a 7 year old asked for a PSP and I was blank. Of- course I knew that its a Play station Portable but the point was that he knew more than me ! He knew all about the specification, the games to be downloaded , the variants and almost everything .... It was a true awakening moment and it painfully told  me that I am getting passe` ..albeit mentally.

From then on-wards I became more active and involved in the Video Games/Gadgets Arrived corner of the newspaper and .... our relation has evolved into a friendly one - a Buddy-Parenting thing. 

Now he is the one who fixes the wires of TATA SKY and change TV to the CD player mode and I help him in his class- projects and arranging his clothes chest. We enjoy these tasks which were a burden when conducted alone but have become a fun activity now. Its now our quality time together when done with each other. 

I teach him how to water the plants and keep the shoe rack ship-shape while he tells me how to play the Pokemon Game and the characteristics of Charmander

We do crossword puzzles and mental corner together in the 'Bangalore Mirror' and 'Young World 'of 'The Hindu'.
We share evening/after-dinner walk on our roof, under the starlit sky with he telling me about the constellations and the pole star and I sharing the story of 'Dhruv' Indian version of  the Pole star and about some zodiac signs. 

He teaches me about the cricket players, different IPL teams and the WWF wrestlers and I helped him in making his first ginger tea! 


This has evolved in such a beautiful ritual that we both look forward for it . We look forward to water plants and brewing ginger tea to perfection :) It seems not only as the Khuljaye Bachpan  but also as Udjaye Tension session .

We have particularly become fond of our night walks full of ghost- tales and trivia about Dracula and Iron-man (which I religiously have to mug up from internet ) and our ritual of spotting bird sounds. Our progress is very slow as I am very poor in recognizing and at times have mistook squirrel's call for a bird's ! Owl's hooting, crow's cawing, hen's clucking and pigeon and cuckoo's cooing are the only ones we mother-son can boast of  to know.

Now, we are planning to improve and take our buddy parenting relation to the next level where keeping transparency is the only condition and respecting differences while providing genuine reasoning is the only rule. 

Its wonderful to have entry in his world where I can explore and  learn with him .
 Its like growing up all again with my child beside me .We both stumble , we both stand up, improve and cheer for each other

Believe me, its the BEST way to rear a child - to be with him, learn with him and grow with him , experience life the way he does ... 
Thus making every moment (pal)of his life from learning new things to playing to reflecting ...  khushi ke pal  :)


The post is written for Kellog's Chocos India for 'Khuljaye Bachpan ' 
To know more about it visit Here.

29 comments:

  1. Very sweet post. Loved the little anecdotes you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachna .. I eagerly wait for your comments for my parenting posts :) Its a tough job ..made worthwhile in moments like above :)

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to connect with your son. Not many parents realise how soon their kids grow up and fail to connect with them.Enjoy your time with your kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Shashi, its very important specially now a days when there is no one else to connect for them in our nuclear abodes. Thank you for the wishes and the visit dear :) :)

      Delete
  3. Sweet post Kokila. Impressed with your initiative to pay attention and try to tell the sounds of birds. I also agree it is so difficult to keep pace with their ever increasing knowledge of the characters - pokemon, shinchan...and that of gadgets. Better to surrender and learn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Somali :) You are right in saying its difficult which it is with a Capital 'D' :D :D yeah .. surrendering is the second best policy after reasoning these days ...... But its fun too dear with them as one of them :) :)

      Delete
  4. Shows that you're a dutiful and enlightened mother! Carry on! More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be those words you say Uppal ji :) Thanks for the wishes ..much needed :) :)

      Delete
  5. Awww so beautiful. I'm bookmarking this post. Once I have a child, I shall re-read this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My God Soumya! now that's a BIG compliment which I get from you girl ! :D :D Glad you felt so :)

      Delete
  6. That is totally sweet! And I totally agree in learning together! We learn a lot from the kids and I find they change my whole perspective. <3 the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Meoww .. I knew you would agrre with the concept as I can see you learning and growing together with kids :) I agree again on the change of the perspective dear.. yeah it does change with them ..sometimes daily ! :P
      But you know I mean it :) :)

      Delete
  7. Quite a descriptive – Buddy-Mother friendship. So vivid.... It’s just like watching in front of my eyes – all the scenes. It’d surely be a delight for those who has lived it and would be a pain for those who were devoid of it. They would have interpreted the stars differently. They would have watched the sky not for wondering what they are, but to search their mother among them. Might have been their mother turned out into stars like Dhruv!

    An engaging post indeed. It leads one down the memory lane in either case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ravish for sharing your feelings and glad it led you down memory lane... Yes, for the ones devoid of this bond I guess, the whole universe conspire to teach in that now-buddy, now-teacher fashion , though the emptiness of childhood is hard to fulfill...

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful relationship bestie...I agree with the relationship of next level of transparency where they gain confidence to share all :) loved the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right O girl !! You know me inside out!! so I appreciate/glad you pointed out 'transparency' dear which is the core of such buddy-mom relation ... Happy you liked it zephyr :) :)

      Delete
  9. Such a sweet post soul-sis. And, I think here is also something very common..about the Pokemon especially.... the yellow cat, Pikachu... my son made me draw one for him once...:-D

    Loved the relationship you described here...that is the way it should be... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you dearie..glad it resonated so well with you though I sort of knew it will ;) :)
      Drawing pikachu !! :D :D baba re ....I prefer round edged cats and pikachu is do pointed and sharp ...things they make us do and how we feel happy to fulfill to their whims ....I bet that is one of the BEST of your sketches :) :)

      Delete
  10. Like you, it is a sweet post dear on buddy parenting relation.Your are the best Gift to your son.What more he needs in life.Love to read the post again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What wonderful words !! Like all mother's/parents I too want to become what you have said Kri... Thanks a ton dear:)

      Delete
  11. I'm sure there are many who miss this bonding which you share with your son. It's nice when you can find something to do with your children. It'll definitely go a long way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashwini :) your words are so motivating and rewarding dear..filled my heart with warmth :)

      Delete
  12. So, we guys are true buddies. You certainly have a beautiful relationship with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Saru . it's truly a good relation though buddy-mom or buddy-cum-mom one can't avoid the tough part of parenting :p thanks again :)

      Delete
  13. Very sweet incidents mentioned. :)
    I missed writing for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked these Indrani ... I would definitely love to read your experiences of parenting for sure ! Next time girl ..Thank you :)

      Delete
  14. Nice and worthy post about relationship Kokila ji .

    ReplyDelete

Your views make this blog work ...Thanks a lot. :)